The summer months, school breaks, and vacations are always very busy, but Summer 2020 has brought an unprecedented amount of information and change for public school staff members! Thank you for your patience as we continue to organize our 2020-21 reopening plan!
Please follow the link to review the current draft of the 2020-21 Building Reopening Plan. The document was generated in collaboration with staff members from the Miami County Educational Service Center and Miami County Public Health and includes feedback from both Milton-Union staff and Board of Education members. In reviewing the document, please keep the following in mind.
* The document is still in draft form. Discussion and feedback occurring countywide and locally have been incorporated as much as possible, but this is not the final version. The draft is being presented widely so that parents, caregivers, and community members have an opportunity to review and plan as much as possible.
* The plan proposes a modification to the current school calendar with students returning on Tuesday, September 8, 2020 following the Labor Day weekend.
* The plan should be considered accurate for “right now.” Information is released so rapidly from federal, state, and local organizations that any plan must be flexible and elastic. Please expect changes. We will work hard to maintain constant communication with our public. Again, we appreciate your ongoing patience and understanding.
* The district plan ties instructional delivery mode to Ohio’s COVID-19 advisory system. Very recently, Miami County was elevated from Level 1 to Level 2.
* The current plan is designed to generally describe areas of district operation for returning to school. This should not be considered an all-inclusive set of procedures. Many “daily details” will still need to be determined for staff members and students in navigating their typical day.
* The document does not yet dictate a specific face covering policy for students. Instead, two options are described. The Board of Education has already conducted two work sessions to discuss general district plans, and the document will continue to be a major point of discussion during the regular BOE meeting on Monday, July 20, 2020 at 6:30pm. In particular, the BOE will likely adopt a face covering policy in conducting district business on Monday.
Although the BOE continues to conduct meetings remotely, a new procedure for public participation will be introduced on Monday. Please follow the link to review the meeting agenda and new public participation procedure. As always, BOE members encourage and value participation from community members and school stakeholders. They look forward to hearing from you!
In short, we are making every effort to do our best in these difficult circumstances. Thank you for your continued support of Milton-Union Schools!